The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop will be held on the 4th floor of the Gates-Hillman building at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA.
The CMU campus is located in Oakland, a community within Pittsburgh's wonderful East End. There is no shortage of things to do, see, and eat in Oakland, and on the East End.
Where to Stay
The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop organizers recommend the Quality Inn for attendees. They offer free parking and provide free shuttle runs to CMU during the day.
Other hotel resources
Where to Park
On the day of the event, free parking will be available in the Morewood parking lot. The parking lot is located directly opposite of the Gates Building.
Where to Eat
- Ali Baba
- Middle Eastern Cheap ($5-8) Hummus, sleek 404 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Spice Island Tea House
- Thai/Burmese/Malaysian/Indonesian Average ($10-14) Tea, vegan entress 253 Atwood Street (Google Map)
- Union Grill
- American Cheap ($7-10) Anything with voodoo sauce 413 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Star of India
- Indian 412 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Lu Lu Noodles
- Chinese and Asian Soups Cheap ($5-8) Ramen Soup 400 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Primanti Brothers
- Sandwiches Cheap ($5-8) Pittsburgh classic with fries and slaw on the sandwich 3803 Forbes Avenue (Google Map)
What to Do
- Carnegie Museum of Art
- 4400 Forbes Ave (Google Map) Carnegie Museum of Art web site $10 general admission ($6 for students) "Offers a distinguished collection of contemporary art, works of American art from the late nineteenth century, French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings, and European and American decorative arts from the late seventeenth century to the present."
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
- 1 Schenley Park (Google Map) Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens web site $7.50 ($5.50 for students) "Newly expanded, Phipps features a Victorian-era Conservatory holding thousands of exotic plants and flowers. Numerous gardens surround the original 1893 glasshouse. The Welcome Center, opened in March 2005, offers a cafe for hungry visitors."