The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop will be held in Wean Hall at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA.
The CMU campus is located in Oakland, a community within Pittsburgh's wonderful East End. There is no shortage of things to do, see, and eat in Oakland, and on the East End.
Finding Wean Hall
A full campus map may be found here.
There is free parking within walking distance of the university. The closest parking lot to Wean Hall is the Morewood parking lot on Forbes Avenue (labeled P12 / "PPW Parking" on the map above). Nearby hotels also operate shuttles to and from the university.
From the Morewood parking lot, cross over Forbes Avenue. Take the sidewalk down to the driveway right next to the short bridge overlooking Junction Hollow. There is a bus stop at this driveway.
Turn left into the driveway. The CIC (Collaborative Innovation Center) will be on your right.
Follow the driveway all the way....and turn left. You will be standing in front on Newell-Simon Hall (can't miss it, the Gates/Hillman Complex is next door).
Enter Newell-Simon Hall. You will be on the 3rd floor.
Go up the grand staircase to the 4th floor and head toward the glass bridge connecting Newell-Simon and Wean Halls. The 4th floor of Newell-Simon connects to the 4th floor of Wean.
Go toward the library...and at the Library Decorative Light, turn right and you'll see the elevators.
Take the elevators up to the 7th floor. The registration area is directly in front of the elevator.
Where to Stay
The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop organizers recommend the Quality Inn for attendees. They offer free parking and provide free shuttle runs to CMU during the day.
Unfortunately, we've been informed that rooms are very limited due to other events going on in the city the same weekend. Therefore, we advise everybody to reserve their rooms early. We will also be working to reserve blocks of rooms at other hotels.
We have been able to reserve the following limited supplies at the Quality Inn:
- 5 Rooms, Non-Smoking with two double beds.
- 5 Rooms, Smoking with two double beds.
- 15 - 20 Rooms, Non-Smoking with one queen Bed.
Other hotel resources
Where to Park
On the day of the event, free parking will be available in the East Campus Garage. The garage is located directly north of the football field and the University Center is located directly west of the football field.
Where to Eat
- Ali Baba
- Middle Eastern Cheap ($5-8) Hummus, sleek 404 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Spice Island Tea House
- Thai/Burmese/Malaysian/Indonesian Average ($10-14) Tea, vegan entress 253 Atwood Street (Google Map)
- Union Grill
- American Cheap ($7-10) Anything with voodoo sauce 413 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Star of India
- Indian 412 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Lu Lu Noodles
- Chinese and Asian Soups Cheap ($5-8) Ramen Soup 400 S. Craig Street (Google Map)
- Primanti Brothers
- Sandwiches Cheap ($5-8) Pittsburgh classic with fries and slaw on the sandwich 3803 Forbes Avenue (Google Map)
What to Do
- Carnegie Museum of Art
- 4400 Forbes Ave (Google Map) Carnegie Museum of Art web site $10 general admission ($6 for students) "Offers a distinguished collection of contemporary art, works of American art from the late nineteenth century, French Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings, and European and American decorative arts from the late seventeenth century to the present."
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
- 1 Schenley Park (Google Map) Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens web site $7.50 ($5.50 for students) "Newly expanded, Phipps features a Victorian-era Conservatory holding thousands of exotic plants and flowers. Numerous gardens surround the original 1893 glasshouse. The Welcome Center, opened in March 2005, offers a cafe for hungry visitors."